Friday, January 21, 2011

PERVERTED AUTHORITY

There's a fellow blogger whom I've learned to love, whose grasp of Scripture I truly respect. He's an old-timer, just as I am. He's even got a similar hair-do! So he must be good :)!

Whatever you do have a look at his recent blogs, the latest of which is HOW FAMILY LEADERSHIP WORKS.

Make sure you read the previous three first, in the order written, WHO'S THE BOSS? ; I-YOU-WE; PERVERTED AUTHORITY.

Just to whet your interest he says, "This means that they were viewed to be gifted leaders by others and were thus appointed by the Holy Spirit and then recognized by the people. So that, even when the writer of Hebrews admonishes believers to follow the leadership of elders, it uses the Greek language that according to W.E. Vine, means [peitho] "to persuade, to win over, in the Passive and Middle Voices which indicates one voluntarily does so with an eye on their [The elders] character and life. [Hebrews 13:17]"

2 comments:

Paul Burleson said...

Aussie J,

I appreciate the "sound-out" about this important subject to the Body of Christ. If my words can help with understanding I'm delighted.
Also, I'm grateful for the safety of you and yours in this difficult time "Down under." Our prayers for you all continue.

Aussie John said...

Paul,

I appreciate what you are writing, for the obvious reason, that I agree with what you are saying, most of the time :).

Foremost, I think you have caught sight of what Dr. Tom Holland of Wales Evangelical School of Theology, says :

“The primary failure of reformed Evangelicalism is that we have not focused on the texts of Scripture; we have focused on the texts of the confessions.”

In the later years of my time as a pastor, the truth of his statement became more and more clear.

Post a Comment