Friday, May 8, 2009

Do you ever wonder about why you do what you do? Why do you minister? Why, as a Christian, do you have a blog?

I've asked myself these questions many times, and almost ceased the small amount of blogging I do achieve.

Robert Murray M’Cheyne, on the 8th July,1836, wrote in his diary, "Since Tuesday have been laid up with illness. Set by once more for a season to feel my unprofitableness and cure my pride. When shall this self-choosing temper be healed? ‘Lord, I will preach, run, visit, wrestle,’ said I.

‘No, thou shalt lie in thy bed and suffer,’ said the Lord.

"Today missed some fine opportunities of speaking a word for Christ. The Lord saw I would have spoken as much for my own honor as His, and therefore shut my mouth. I see a man cannot be a faithful minister, until he preaches Christ for Christ’s sake – until he gives up striving to attract people to himself, and seeks only to attract them to Christ. Lord, give me this!”

Why am I blogging? Why are you? Are my opinions and yours so important or profound?

6 comments:

Alan Knox said...

Good question. I started my blog to help me think through some of my studies. I continue to study because I've found that I've learned as much from people who interact here as from books.

-Alan

Joel Brueseke said...

Great questions, and great thoughts. I've always had a persistent desire to preach "the gospel to the saved," as Paul Anderson-Walsh calls it... helping Christians to live in the freedom for which Christ set them free. That's why I began blogging.

I can't deny that "ego" (self) has crept in from time to time. I suppose that would be true of just about anyone who has any type of speaking/writing/teaching/etc platform. For me, it's truly been the interaction with others, and their thoughts and opinions, that has played a large part in keeping me level.

I've also simply found it futile if "I" am the attraction... LOL. Who cares about me? (in that sense). It's all about HIM!

Aussie John said...

Alan & Joel,

Thank you for your comments.

I will reply more fully with my next blog. Sufficient to say you both encompass much of my own beginning attitude.

Paul Burleson said...

Interesting opening thoughts.

I've kind of taken 1 Corinthians 3:21-23 as my life verses and am seeing anything I choose to do [as an activity] is for me a legitimate thing when I see it as a gift and as a God thing.

Paul uses the men named in that passage as different and yet all/each a gift. The principle for me is that every different kind of thing in my life is a gift. So insignificant and even shallow things like blogging can be seen as a God thing for me.

This relates to things that don't violate the Word of God of course and things that don't harm life as a sacred thing or control life.

This has put a new spin on things for me so that I don't see a distinction between spiritual and secular any longer. All of life is a God thing.

Aussie John, I don't know how this will fit with what you may be going to say and I may be off target here with your purpose but, it's the direction my mind went.

As always, I enjoy your thoughts immensely.

Aussie John said...

Paul,

I'm pleased you commented. Your thoughts certainly resonate with my own.

Joel Brueseke said...

Paul... I've come to see more and more what you're talking about - the erasing of the imaginary line between secular and sacred. I've heard others talk about it in the past and I've appropriated it to a point in my life, and I think it's becoming more of a reality every day.

Post a Comment